|COLONEL RICHARD D. MCCOMB|
Colonel Richard D. McComb is the Commander, 628th Air Base Wing, Joint Base Charleston, South Carolina. As host to 53 DoD and Federal agencies, the Wing provides unsurpassed installation support to a total force of over 79,000 Airmen, Sailors, Soldiers, Marines, Coast Guardsmen, civilians, dependents and retirees across both the Air Base and Weapons Station. In addition, the Wing provides mission-ready expeditionary Airmen to Combatant Commanders in support of Joint and Combined operations worldwide. As the Commander, Col McComb is responsible for $5.3 billion in base property and capital assets and controls an annual budget exceeding $172 million.
Colonel McComb was born in Neubruecke, Germany and received his commission upon graduation from Officer Training School in June 1988; after which he immediately entered and completed the basic Security Police Officer Course. He has served in a variety of duty positions within the security forces career field to include squadron commander, major command staff officer, and squadron section commander.
1987 BS of Science Degree in General Studies, Columbus State University, Columbus, Ga.
1993 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1996 Master of Arts Degree in Administrative Management (Public Concentration),
University of Maryland, University College (European Division)
1998 Federal Bureau of Investigations National Academy, 195th Session, Quantico, Va.
2002 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2002 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Air War College (correspondence)
2007 Master of Science in National Security Strategy, National Defense University, Fort McNair,
1. 1988 - 1989: Flight Security Officer, 857th Missile Security Squadron, Minot AFB, N.D.
2. 1989 - 1991: Flight Leader, 857th Security Police Squadron, Minot AFB N.D.
3. 1991 - 1993: Flight Leader, then Assistant Operations Officer, 633d Security Police Squadron, Andersen AFB, Guam
4. 1993 - 1994: Operations Officer, 10th Security Police Squadron, Royal Air Force Alconbury, United Kingdom
5. 1994 - 1995: Squadron Section Commander, 710th Security Police Squadron, Royal Air Force Alconbury, United Kingdom
6. 1995 - 1996: Chief, Programs and Fiscal Management, Directorate of Security Police, Headquarters United States Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
7. 1996 - 1998: Commander, USAFE Special Security Squadron, Ramstein AB, Germany
8. 1998 - 2000: Operations Officer, 341st Training Squadron (DoD Military Working Dog School), Lackland AFB, Texas
9. 2000 - 2001: Commander, 386th Expeditionary Security Forces Squadron, Southwest Asia
10. 2001 - 2002: Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. 2002 - 2004: Commander, 4th Security Forces Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
12. 2004 - 2006: Commander, 5th Security Forces Squadron, Minot AFB, N.D.
13. 2006 - 2007: Student, National War College, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
14. 2007 - 2009: Assistant for Antiterrorism Policy, Assistant Secretary of Defense for Special Operations/Low-Intensity Conflict and Interdependent Capabilities, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
15. 2009 - 2010: Commander, 386th Expeditionary Mission Support Group, Southwest Asia
16. 2010 - 2011: Chief, Security Forces, Directorate of Installations & Mission Support, Scott AFB, IL
17. 2011 - Present: Commander, 628th Air Base Wing, Joint Base Charleston, South Carolina
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Distinguished Graduate, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant Jun 1988
First Lieutenant Jun 1990
Captain Jun 1992
Major Oct 1999
Lieutenant Colonel Mar 2004
Colonel Sep 2008
(Current as of 30 May 2012)