Joint Base Charleston stands up combined legal assistance department|
Posted 9/28/2010 Updated 9/28/2010
by Navy Lt. Patrick Jackson
Judge Advocate General Corps
9/28/2010 - JOINT BASE CHARLESTON, S.C. -- In the spirit of joint basing and in an effort to streamline and maximize services for all, Naval Legal Service Office Southeast is being combined with the U.S. Air Force to form a new legal assistance office that will better serve the greater Joint Base Charleston community.
The NLSO SE Branch Office at the Naval Weapons Station is being closed and the remaining elements folded into the Air Force's legal department. The mission of this new office is to provide prompt, courteous and professional legal assistance to all eligible active duty, Reserve and retired military members and their families.
Beginning Oct. 1, the new combined legal assistance department will be operated by the Air Force's 628th Air Base Wing Legal Office. If you are stationed onboard Naval Weapons Station, you will still have access to legal assistance. A full time paralegal will be located in Building 84 of Naval Support Activity. The paralegal will be available for power of attorney and notary functions Mondays through Fridays. Beginning Oct. 18, an attorney and paralegal will be available every Monday for more complicated legal matters.
The assistance provided by the 628 ABW Legal Office will include legal advice, counseling and occasional document preparation in the following areas:
· Divorce, Dissolution and Separation
· Spouse and child support
· Complaints on non-support
· Former Spouse Protection Act
· Involuntary allotments
· Landlord - tenant issues
· Tax relief and intercept programs
· Landlord and tenant disputes
· Debt collections
· Fair credit practices and credit denial
· Consumer disputes with merchants
· Insurance (auto, house, life, health and property)
· Correction of military records
· Civil suits and judgments
· Small Claims court
· Drivers licenses and vehicle registration
· Domicile rules
· Taxes (state and federal)
· Civilian misdemeanor charges
· Wills, Living Wills and Durable Powers of Attorney
The 628 ABW Legal Office can be reached at 963-5502, and is located at 102 E. Hill Blvd., Building 1600, Room 135. Call ahead to arrange an appointment and to inform the office of the nature of a legal issue.